You probably know someone who rants about it being a Hallmark holiday designed to manipulate people into spending money on cheesy cards and cliched Valentine’s gifts
like flowers and chocolates. Or maybe you rant about it yourself.
That used to be me
And then I fell in love
Now my husband and I spend our free time researching the all-time best unknown love songs
. We try to take advantage of every opportunity to stay connected as a couple
– no matter how small.
And for Valentine’s Day last year?
We watched oodles and oodles
of chick flicks to find the top 10 romantic comedies
for the modern woman.
I’m officially a Valentine’s Day convert.
But Here’s the Problem
For Valentine’s Day, the status quo celebration is to get a babysitter and go out to a nice dinner.
But babysitters are expensive
. If you did manage to think ahead to make reservations for a fancy restaurant, you and your honey will show up on the big night along with every other couple who had the same idea.
So at your romantic, cozy dinner for just the two of you, without kids screaming or asking for food or drawing on the walls? You’ll barely
be able to hear each other.
You’ll resort to half-yelling across the table to be heard, get frustrated when you catch only every other word from your partner, and end up rushing through your meal just to get outside and away from the din of the restaurant.
And since you told the babysitter you’d be home by 11 pm and it’s only 9:30
– you’ll probably end your hot date night at the grocery store to get diapers and peanut butter because…what else is there to do?
This Is a Way Better Valentine’s Gift
Tell your honey you’ve got Valentine’s Day covered.
Then put together this easy peasy
DIY date night gift basket. You can do it last minute, and you can do it cheap. And I promise it’ll be way more romantic than yelling at each other in a crowded restaurant.
This DIY gift basket has everything you need for a cozy Valentine’s Day movie night
After the kids go to bed on February 14, just present your love with this gift basket – containing all the essentials for a special movie night on the couch.
How to Make Your DIY Date Night Gift Basket
This date night gift basket also makes a great anniversary gift, plus it’s a fun date night idea for any time of year.
- Check your closets or the attic for a basket. Or you could even use a cardboard box and wrap it in festive wrapping paper like this heart wrapping paper†. If you want to go all out, this picnic basket is pretty adorable, and you’ll be able to use it throughout the year for impromptu date nights or family picnics.
- Fill the basket with your favorite movie night treats:
- Get a DVD or Blu-Ray of a top-notch romantic comedy. Or if you want to rent one instead, print the photo from Amazon to put in the box. My all-time favorite romantic comedy is About Time (and it’s my husband’s favorite too). But if you want more ideas, check out the Top 10 Romantic Comedies for the Modern Woman.
- Find a cozy blanket to throw in the basket too.
Easiest Valentine’s gift ever
What’s the best Valentine’s gift you’ve ever received? Share your story in a comment below!