1. Pick One: Pick just one family goal you’d like to talk about.
2. Preload the First Decision: Make a decision about when you’ll start the family goal-setting conversation with everyone.
3. Gather a Few Fun Supplies: Gather a few helpful supplies such as a whiteboard, post-it notes, and markers to help get planning.
4. Pretend You’re the WD-40 Invite everyone to chime in. Above all, your goal is to grease the wheels of the conversation – be the WD-40.
The WOOP method for tackling goals is based on more than 20 years of research
Wish – What do you dream of achieving? Ask everyone to say what they want out loud. Outcome – Clarify the outcome you want, being as specific as possible. Obstacle – Next ask, “What might get in the way of this happening?” Plan – Now, create mini “if-then” plans for each obstacle you came up with.
6. Put It on Display At the end of the conversation, write down the final plan and put it on display as a visible reminder for everyone.
7. Circle Back You’ll want to revisit the plan on a regular basis.